Herman Melville Quote

"It is impossible to talk or to write without apparently throwing oneself helplessly open."
~Herman Melville

Thursday, July 19, 2012

50 Shades of Grey - The Latest Watermark in Poop Culture

        So, as everyone who hasn't been residing under a rock for the past few months is aware, the "novel," Fifty Shades of Grey is taking the nation by storm.  I am more ashamed than I can put here in words that I purchased this "book," and read almost 200 pages of it before I threw it away.  Just looking at the line I just typed makes me feel a little queasy.  This was hands down the most horrendously written piece of filth I have ever seen.  This lady, E.L. James makes R.L. Stine look like William freaking Faulkner.  Remember R.L. Stine and Goosebumps?  At one point in the nineties he was turning out a piece of crap, 200 page book every two weeks.  Seriously.  And he is WAY better than James.  I wasted money on a lot of his books too, but I was eleven.  So, now that this "book" has permeated the literary world with the foulest of stenches, it has moved on to infect   theater.  
        Yes, you heard me correctly, the turd, Fifty Shades of Grey  has been turned into a short musical by AVbyte. It depicts what the makers see as the "three camps in this whole "50 Shades of Grey" phenomenon: camp "I love this book," camp "this book is garbage," and camp "I'd never tell anyone, but I'm secretly reading and liking this book" (huffingtonpost.com).  I agree with this, and at least my camp is represented.  Thank god it isn't hitting any actual theaters - yet.  But I honestly don't feel confident that it won't happen.  I always knew that there was way too much stupidity per capita in this country, but these days it seems like an epidemic.  So let's all keep our fingers crossed that this literary chancre doesn't metastasize - well, beyond Hollywood, that is - because the movie is coming, folks.  Yikes America!



2 comments:

  1. I haven't reached the point of trashing the book yet. I'm only a few chapters in. In Seattle, "E" did a tour of the hotel where it all began. :/ lame

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you will go see the movie when it is made, don't lie.

    ReplyDelete